March is over March 31, 2009Posted by Sina in : Main , add a comment
Updates? For future reference, of course.
- Lost my office, moving into a new one. It has a better view, but everything is so small.
- Looking for a job. Hopefully I won’t need one.
- Doing a stupid Time Series group project on pairs trading. Need to find a cointegrated pair, which is harder than it sounds.
- Just got a Blip account.
- Need to buy hiking boots, soon, and start hiking in preparation for Machu Picchu.
- Want to buy a bike (bicycle), not sure if I can afford it.
- Want to buy a bike (motorcycle), not sure if I can afford it.
- And I need to buy jeans. Nothing fits me anymore
- I also want to get a geotagging camera, but it seems not many are developed yet.
- Why does it seem like all I want to do is buy things…?
Wikipedia Knows Everything March 19, 2009Posted by Sina in : Main , add a comment
People at work seem to be amazed at how quickly I find information. I find it amazing how amazing they find this. Really.
Here are three general rules to remember:
- Wikipedia knows everything. No exceptions.
- Google is your friend. All smart people use Google.
- Find/Replace will save you time reading/writing. Use it.
Remember that and all the old people you know will think you know everything.
Freakier Friday March 13, 2009Posted by Sina in : Main , add a comment
It’s Friday the 13th. Again.
- Thus, vampires are in order. (updated 12:16am)
- xkcd hasn’t updated its Friday comic as of 12:31am. Very unusual. (update 12:31am) I just realized… the late update was probably due to daylight savings and his server not properly updating the time. (updated 9:43am)
- I guess this is weird. (updated 1:24pm)
- Strange substance found in bathroom soap dispenser. I’m pretty sure it was Bloody Mary. (update 5:30pm)
You can smell it in the air March 10, 2009Posted by Sina in : Haikus , add a comment
The sun sets late now
Because of daylight savings.
It is very good.
Conservapedia might be Wikipedia's evil step-brother March 7, 2009Posted by Sina in : Main , add a comment
Conservapedia informs us that “Obama is likely the first Muslim President” of the United States. They argue this because “Obama’s background, education, and outlook are Muslim, and fewer than 1% of Muslims convert to Christianity.”
But that all doesn’t matter anyway. Why? Because Obama isn’t the President of the United States. This follows from the fact that fewer than 0.0000001% of Americans have ever been the country’s President.
First Day of Work (8 months later) March 4, 2009Posted by Sina in : Main , add a comment
I’m writing an employee profile at work and this question came up, so I’ve decided to post it for my future reference:
When did you start with the ministry?
11 June 2008. It was a sunny morning and I was listening to “Here Comes the Sun” by The Beatles while enjoying an espresso from Java Joes across the street. I sat by the window but I couldn’t see outside because of the glaring sun. All I could gather was that the people walking outside were in rush to get wherever they were going and I remember wondering if I would soon be like them. I knew the espresso would make the butterflies in my stomach worse, but I needed the caffeine jump so I gulped it and went on my way…
Haikus are easy March 3, 2009Posted by Sina in : Haikus , add a comment
‘Tis my first haiku,
Which may become common here.
I’ve not decided.
The Fellowship of the Trek March 3, 2009Posted by Sina in : Main , 2comments
A (working) list of things I’ll need for Peru:
- sleeping bag
- hiking boots
- geotagging camera?
- pipe? I imagine tobacco goes well with trekking (see: The Fellowship of the Ring)
- swiss army knife
- water carrying pouch thing
GMail Will Change Your Life March 2, 2009Posted by Sina in : Main , add a comment
My friend recently got GMail…
Sina: Gmail will change your life
John: everyone says that
Sina: it’s true
Sina: trust me, gmail will change how you use email
John: i just use this to chat
i’m sticking with hotmail for email
Sina: you’ll be sorrrrrrrryyyyyyyy
Sina: just try it
you know what, whatever. your loss
John: i did
John: you gmail fanatics are creepy
Sina: we’re just trying to spread the gospel